Monday, July 30, 2012

Week 3 EOC : National Geographic



                                         Photo Credit Joe McNally

National Geographic Magazine was a favorite magazine of  mine since I was a young boy, I always enjoyed the amazing photography and being able to see other parts of the world that I otherwise wouldn’t be able to see. Over the years the pages of National geographic Magazine played a big part in my initial interest in photography that would turn into a life long passion.  Joe McNally is a photographer that I have always admired and followed on the pages of National Geographic Magazine. A few years ago I was lucky enough to attend a Joe McNally Workshop in California that changed my life and me as a photographer. Joe spoke about his career and the many wild risks he had to take during it to get what he wanted. One assignment that always stood out in my mind was the shot of Michelle Yeow over the Hollywood sign. The shot of Michelle Yeow took the courage of Joe and he had to talk Michelle into it as well, they had to build a rig that stuck out of a helicopter to hang Michelle off and then Joe had to hang out of the door to get the shot. This shot is one of my all time favorites because you can’t just go out with your iphone and snap a similar picture, it takes the talents and resources of Joe Mc’Nally and National Geographic Magazine to get this shot. I admire Joe’s talent to make such amazing shots with little or no post process and it all being created and set up before the shutter is clicked. Although Joes style is different than normal National Geographic Magazine photos they always are amazing. I have included a photo of mine that I feel was inspired by the pages of National Geographic and Joe McNally.


No comments:

Post a Comment